Shirley Atkinson: Additional Details
- Cumming, D. H. M., Osofsky, S. A., Atkinson, S. J. & Atkinson, M. W. 2015. Beyond fences: wildlife, livestock and land use in southern Africa. In: J. Zinsstag, E. Schelling, D. Waltner-Toews, M. Whittaker & M. Tanner (Eds.). One Health: the theory and practice of integrated health approaches. (pp. 243-257). CABI International, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Dierenfeld, E. S., Atkinson, S. J., Craig, A. M., Walker, K. C., Streich, W.J. & Clauss, M. 2005. Mineral concentrations in serum/plasma and liver tissue of captive and free-ranging rhinoceros species. Zoo Biology, 24, 51-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/zoo.20043
- Thomson, G. R., Penrith, M.-L., Atkinson, M. W., Atkinson, S. J., Cassidy, D. & Osofsky, S. A. 2013. Balancing livestock production and wildlife conservation in and around southern Africa's transfrontier conservation areas. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 60, 492–506. https://doi.org/10.1111/tbed.12175
- Thomson, G. R., Penrith, M.-L., Atkinson, M. W., Thalwitzer, S., Mancuso, A., Atkinson, S. J. & Osofsky, S. A. 2013. International trade standards for commodities and products derived from animals: the need for a system that integrates food safety and animal disease risk management. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 60, 507–515. https://doi.org/10.1111/tbed.12164
White Papers, Technical Reports, and other Peer Outreach
- Atkinson, S. J. 1999. Baseline physiological data for assessment of nutrient status in rhinoceros: a comparative approach. Department of Nutrition, Wildlife Conservation Society, New York.
- Atkinson, S. J. & Dood, A. R. 2006. Montana interior least tern management plan. Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Bozeman, Montana. 48 pp.
- Atkinson, S. J. & Dood, A. R. 2006. Montana piping plover management plan. Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Bozeman, Montana. 78 pp.
- Atkinson, S. J., Bing, M., McNutt, J. W., Marshall, C., Masedi, M., Osofsky, S. A., Penrith, M-L., Ramsden, N., Ross, K. S., Thomson, G. R., van Rooyen, J., & Worobo, R. W. 2019. Gap analysis on the implementation of commodity-based trade of beef in Ngamiland, Botswana. Report prepared in consultation with the Government of Botswana’s Department of Veterinary Services. AHEAD Program, Cornell University, New York. 120 pp.
- Atkinson, S. J., Dierenfeld, E. S. & Foose, T. J. 1997. Possible determinants of skewed natal sex ratios in captive black (Diceros bicornis) and Indian (Rhinoceros unicorns) rhinoceros in North America. International Rhino Foundation, Cumberland, Ohio. 81 pp.
- Dood, A. R., Atkinson, S. J. & Boccadori, V. J. 2006. Grizzly bear management plan for western Montana: programmatic environmental impact statement 2006-2016. Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Helena, Montana. 143 pp.
- Thomson, G., Penrith, M.-L., Atkinson, S. J. & Osofsky, S. A. 2018. Guidelines on commodity-based trade approaches for managing foot and mouth disease risk in southern Africa. (3rd ed.). AHEAD Program, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. 18 pp.
- Atkinson, S. J. 2014. Resolving disease-related conflict at the livestock/wildlife interface in support of transfrontier conservation in southern Africa. In: Proceedings from the Improving Health and Well-being: Health Parks Health stream of the IUCN World Parks Congress (p. 62). Parks Australia, Sydney, Australia.
- Atkinson, S. J., du Toit, J. & Topps, J. 1997. Maintenance of captive black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis) on indigenous browse in Zimbabwe: energetics and nutrition. In: Proceedings of the Second Conference on Zoo and Wildlife Nutrition. AZA Nutritional Advisory Group, Fort Worth, Texas. https://nagonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Captive-Black-Rhinos.pdf
- Atkinson, S. J., Thomson, G. R., Penrith, M.-L. & Osofsky, S. A. 2014. Transboundary disease management in southern Africa: implications of a One Health approach for transfrontier conservation, agriculture and economic development. In: Abstracts Book for RP-PCP and AHEAD-GLTFCA Conference on Management of Protected Areas and Their Peripheries in Southern Africa: Has Anything Changed with the Creation of TFCAs? (p. 31). Hwange, Zimbabwe.
- Gureja, N., Atkinson, S., Moorad, J. & Flyman, M. (Eds). 2014. Proceedings of the Botswana wildlife research symposium: bridging the gap between conservation science and management. Prepared for the Botswana Department of Wildlife and National Parks, Maun, Botswana. http://www.wcs-ahead.org/kaza/bwrs_proceedings_web_final150107.pdf
- Gap analysis for implementation of CBT of beef in Ngamiland: stakeholder validation workshop. Department of Veterinary Services (DVS)-AHEAD workshop co-organizer, presenter. Maun, Botswana, 2019. http://www.wcs-ahead.org/ngamiland-cbt-gap-analysis-2019/ngamiland-cbt-gap-analysis-2019.html
- Commodity-based trade of beef and enhanced market access: the vital role of the Department of Veterinary Services. DVS-AHEAD workshop co-organizer, presenter. Gaborone, Botswana, 2018. http://www.wcs-ahead.org/botswana_dvs_workshop_2018/botswana_dvs_workshop_2018.html
- Wildlife-friendly beef: working towards a win-win solution for livestock agriculture & wildlife conservation in Ngamiland. DVS-AHEAD workshop co-organizer, presenter, proceedings writer. Maun, Botswana, 2017. http://www.wcs-ahead.org/dvs_ahead_maun_workshop_2017/dvs_ahead_maun_workshop_2017.html
- Towards implementation of commodity-based trade of beef in the KAZA TFCA: opportunities for integrating livestock agriculture & wildlife conservation. KAZA-AHEAD-FAO workshop co-organizer, proceedings co-writer. Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, 2016. http://www.wcs-ahead.org/kaza_ahead_fao_workshop_2016/kaza_ahead_fao_workshop_2016.html
- State of KAZA symposium 2016: where have we come from, where are we now, and where are we going? Symposium organizing and technical planning committees’ member, proceedings reviewer. Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, 2016. http://www.kavangozambezi.org/index.php/en/news-public/item/17-publication-of-the-state-of-kaza-symposium-2016-proceedings
- Cornell Atkinson Center for Sustainability Faculty Fellow
- IUCN WCPA Connectivity Conservation Specialist Group
- IUCN WCPA Transboundary Conservation Specialist Group
- Wildlife Disease Association